Ministerial Code of Ethics
Ministerial Code of Ethics Preamble - As an Evangelical Christian Church in Canada (Christian Disciples) minister, I am called by God to proclaim the gospel of grace to all people. I dedicate myself to conduct my ministry according to the ethical guidelines and principles set forth in this Ministerial Code of Ethics, in order that my ministry be acceptable to God.
Responsibilities to Self
1. I will endeavor to maintain my physical and emotional health through regular exercise, good eating habits, and the proper care of my body.
2. I will nurture my devotional life through a regular time of prayer, reading the scriptures, and meditation.
3. I will endeavor to continue to grow intellectually through personal study, comprehensive reading, and attending growth conferences.
4. I will endeavor to mange my time well by properly balancing personal obligations, church duties, and family responsibilities, and by observing a weekly day off and an annual vacation.
5. I will be honest and responsible in my finances by paying all debts on time, never seeking special gratuities or privileges, giving generously to worthwhile causes, and living a Christian lifestyle.
6. I will be trustful in my speech, never plagiarizing another's work, exaggerating the facts, misusing personal experiences, or communicating gossip.
7. I will seek to be Christlike in attitude and action toward all persons regardless of race, social class, religious beliefs, or position or influence within the church and community.
Responsibilities to Family
1. I will be fair to every member of my family, giving them the time, love, and consideration they need.
2. I will understand the unique role of my spouse, recognizing his or her primary responsibility is as marital partner and parent to the children, and secondarily as church worker and assistant to the pastor.
3. I will regard my children as a gift from God and seek to meet their individual needs without imposing undue expectations upon them.
Responsibilities to the Congregation
1. I will seek to be a servant-minister of the church by following the example of Christ in faith, love, wisdom, courage, and integrity.
2. I will faithfully discharge my time and energies as pastor, teacher, preacher, and administrator through proper work habits and reasonable schedules.
3. In my administrative and pastoral duties, I will be impartial and fair to all members.
4. In my preaching responsibilities, I will give adequate time to prayer and preparation, so that my presentation will be biblically based, theologically correct, and clearly communicated.
5. In my pastoral counseling, I will maintain strict confidentially, except in cases where disclosure is necessary to prevent harm to persons and/or is required by law.
6. In my evangelistic responsibilities, I will seek to lead persons to salvation and to the church membership without manipulating converts, proselytizing members of other churches, or demeaning other religious faiths.
7. In my visitation and counseling practices, I will never be alone with a person of another sex unless another church member is present nearby.
8. I will not charge fees to church members for weddings or funerals; for nonmembers I will establish polices based on ministry opportunities, time restraints, and theological beliefs.
9. As a full-time minister, I will accept any other remunerative work in necessity as long as it doesn't conflict with your performance as a minister with your Church body.
10. In leaving a congregation, I will seek to strengthen the church through proper timing, verbal affirmation, and an appropriate closure of my ministry.
11. Full time ministry can embrace Market Place ministry as a bi-vocation Pastor.
Responsibilities to Colleagues
1. I will endeavor to relate to all ministers, especially those with whom I serve in my church, as partners in the work of God, respecting their ministry and cooperating with them.
2. I will seek to serve my minister colleagues and their families with counsel, support, and personal assistance.
3. I will refuse to treat other ministries as competition in order to gain a church, receive an honor, or achieve statistical success.
4. I will refrain from speaking disparaging about the person or work of any other minister, especially my predecessor.
5. I will enhance the ministry of my successor by refusing to interfere in any way with the church I formerly served.
6. I will return to a former church field for professional services, such as weddings and funerals only if invited by the resident pastor.
7. I will treat with respect and courtesy any predecessor who returns to my church field.
8. I will be thoughtful and respectful to all retired ministers and, upon my retirement, I will support and love my pastor.
9. I will be honest and kind in my recommendations of other ministers to church positions or other inquiries.
10. If aware of serious misconduct by a minister, I will contact responsible officials of that minister's church body and inform them of the incident.
Responsibilities to the Community
1. I will consider my primary responsibility is to be pastor of my congregation and will never neglect ministerial duties in order to serve in community.
2. I will accept reasonable responsibilities for community service, recognizing the minister has a public ministry.
3. I will support public morality in the community through responsible prophetic witness and social action.
4. I will obey the laws of my government unless they require my disobedience to the law of God.
5. I will practice Christian citizenship without engaging in partisan politics or political activities that are unethical, unbiblical, or unwise.
Responsibilities to my Denomination
1. I will love, support and cooperate with the faith community of which I am a part, recognizing the debts I owe to my denomination for its contribution to my life, my ministry, and my church.
2. I will work to improve my denomination in efforts to expand and extend the Kingdom of God.
Responsibilities as an Associate Minister Code - (2) (Education/Music/Youth.Etc)
1.I will be supportive and loyal to the senior pastor or, if unable to do so, will seek another place of service.
2. I will be supportive and loyal to my fellow staff ministers, never criticizing them or undetermining their ministry.
3. I will recognize my role and responsibility on the church staff and will not feel threaten or in competition with other ministers of my special area of ministry.
4. If single, I will be discreet in my dating practices, especially in relation to members of my congregation
Responsibilities as a Pastoral Counselor Code - (3)
1. I will have a pastor/counselor to whom I can turn for counseling and advice.
2. I will be aware of my own needs and vulnerabilities, never seeking to meet my own needs through my counselees.
3. I will recognize the power I hold over counselees and never take advantage of their vulnerability through exploitation or manipulation.
4. I never become sexually or romantically involved with a client, or engage in any form of erotic or romantic conduct.
5. I will demonstrate unconditional acceptance and love toward all counselees, regardless of their standards, beliefs, attitudes, or actions.
6. If I am unable to benefit a client, I will refer him or her to another professional who can provide appropriate therapy.
7. I will maintain good relationships with other counselors and therapists, informing and conferring with them about mutual concerns.
8. I will keep confidential all matters discussed in a counseling setting, unless the information is hazardous for the client, for another person, or is required by law.
9. I will offer my assistance and services to fellow ministers and their families whenever needed.
10. I will support and contribute to the ministry of my church through personal counseling, seminars, lectures, workshops, and group therapy.
11. I will seek to support the policies and beliefs om my church without unduly imposing them upon any counselee.
Responsibilities as a Military Chaplain Code - (4)
1. I will be an ethical example of a Christian lifestyle in a military setting.
2. I will perform my service duties according to the military codes of conduct, recognizing my ultimate allegiance is to God.
3. I will be truthful in my reports to my senior officers without divulging unnecessary confidential information.
NOTE: This Ministerial Code of Ethics is not a static document but will need revisions over time because of the continuing development of ethical knowledge and the emergence of including members of The Evangelical Christian Church in Canada; all are invited to submit comments and suggestions at any time to Evangelical Christian Church.
These ethics are taken from the Ministerial Ethics Book by Joe Trull and James Carter.